Monday, April 7, 2008

Barbeque terminology

Yesterday, in the hopes that the rain would stay minimally invasive, I decided to smoke a pork butt.

Yes, I smoked a pork butt, which led to all sorts of spontaneous exclamations every time I went outside to the grill.

"I'm gonna go poke the butt" and so forth. And there was actually a moment where I was actively slapping the raw piece of meat loudly, but I stoppped after it failed to garner sufficient attention from my partner in the other room.

Interestingly, pork butt is actually from the shoulder area of the pig. Kudos to the meat purveyors of America for coming up with a highly illustrative albeit inaccurate label.

As any self respecting purveyor of BBQ knows, one of the keys to ensuring success is the application of a dry rub. A Dry Rub is also known by the completely stupid and un-dirty designation "spice rub."

But to me a dry rub just sounds like an activity for overly chaste sober persons and confused teenagers.

Anyhow, I didn't cook it quite as long as i wanted but the Butt was still damn good. This of course led to a whole series of even filthier exclamations about eating butt.

3 comments:

FletcherDodge said...

Mmmm. Nothing like smoking a good Boston Butt. Of course, I'm a big fan of pulling my pork.

MoxieMamaKC said...

I have to admit, I agree with emawkc, there is nothing better than a really nice butt.

The Steve that everyone likes said...

I will never eat a pulled pork sandwich.